Friday, October 3, 2008

New most embarrassing moment and other chuckles

Within the space of a couple weeks, I've had several new "most embarrassing moment"s but the one today is one I can actually puhlicly share... without bringing too much shame to my family.

As I was walking down the sidewalk in my tasteful midshin-length skirt, a solid breeze (which is par for Tetuoan) caught my skirt just right and completely blew it above my waist, flashing all those in front of me. I kept walking as fast as possible trying not to catch the eye of anyone. After my initial shock, I had a good chuckle. Ironically, I was actually dressed pretty conservatively- even wearing a headscarf. A lot of good that did, not being able to see my hair or head but seeing my underwear instead.

As I was laughing about this on my walk to my music lesson, I noticed that the men have stepped up their cat calls or whatever you want to call them. Maybe it was something in the air today; I normally just get the "helloooooo, where are you goinnnng?" or "hola chica! a donde vas?" but today, as I was walking by, some guy in a lowered, sufficiently sleazy voice murmured, "I loof you vedy mooch" to which I chuckled. Soon after that another one gave me the freaky once-over and then an "ooooh lah lah!" Maybe it was my new headscarf.

On the way to my lesson, digging for my notebook, I sat down briefly in the square by a toothless old lady and greeted her in Darija; she completely lit up. As we had a spotty conversation, several men gathered around to watch the spectacle and chime in, asking questions and seeming genuinely thrilled that this gringa chick could even speak a few words. By the time I left, 6 of them had gathered to watch me talk to the lady and ask questions to each other. I could sort of understand their conversations. ("She speaks Darija?" "A little. She's studying it at the school." "Is she Spanish?" "No, no, American.") And then I flitted off to my music lesson.

Ah yes, it's amazing how much entertainment can happen only in the space of 15 minutes.