Well, I had a most multi-cultural Thanksgiving that actually made me chuckle out loud when I thought about it in retrospect.
For my Thanksgiving dinner, I bailed on the grilled fish, classic Moroccan deal. Too rainy and cold to be outside and I wasn't in the mood for the hassle of the market. So I decided to go to a Mexican restaurant run by a British couple. That's right- here I was: American woman having a quasi-Mexican meal in a little cantina run by a couple from England while jazz and rock and roll played on the radio and sombreros hung on the wall... in Morocco.
My meal was wonderful, actually. The best I've had in months. Despite the fact that it really wasn't traditional Mexican (nor were they really advertising themselves as pure), the food was wholesome and, well, not tajine or couscous and that was enough for me (I've had about all the tajines and couscous I can eat).
So, I had chicken chili and Spanish rice, some fresh veggies, and salsa. And for dessert, banana cake all washed down with hot chocolate and a pot of English tea. While reading the Economist. An article on Barack Obama, consequently. I do believe it was a meal I won't forget. On a red and white checkered table-cloth. I believe the only thing that would have made it a more multi-cultural meal was if I had had the tiramisu for dessert instead of the banana cake. Mexican *and* Italian. Next time.
Tonight, I think Gnawa music is in order.
Gorge yourselves on turkey and stuffing for me. Man, what I wouldn't give for turkey and stuffing right now....
Love, TT