Thursday, July 2, 2009

Free Hell

Those who have been reading the blog for awhile might remember when I first was getting to know Hassan late last November at Ma'alem Seddik's house and was cracked up by a sweater he had that read: Free Hell.

Not really speaking much English, he had no idea what his sweater meant. He told me later that a friend gave it to him one time when he was cold. But he hadn't forgotten my questions about it and my laughing at it and he swore after that night that he'd never wear it again... awww. I HAD felt bad that night because I was trying to make a joke with him and be playful but all he really caught was that I was laughing at him.

As a very sweet souvenir, he recently gave me the sweater and essentially said, “I'll never wear it again- here.” I am thrilled. What a conversation piece! What an opportunity to engage people in thrilling conversation!

Is Hell indeed free (gratuit as I told Hassan) or is the sweater saying we should liberate all the condemned souls abiding there? Will we ever really learn the secrets of this puzzling sweater, maybe the greatest conversational piece of clothing on God's green earth?!