Well, I will say that the village life is where it`s at in Turkey. I have consistently had wonderful experiences in the smaller places; sometimes, the smaller the place, the better the experience.
I am in a small village called Ilhara. Tourists come here to walk part of a beautiful canyon filled with ancient Byzantine churches but few people actually stay here. Because I am fervently against taking tours and thus, just take minibuses and public transport wherever I go, I often end up staying in villages longer than most people would, waiting for the next bus. But it usually means I get to see something that most people do not.
After my beautiful 5 hour walk in the Ilhara valley, I stumbled upon a wedding in the village. For over an hour, I sat and watched the men and women dance. It was superb. Apparently, there are three weddings going on around the village today so I will probably get to see more festivities tonight. I am still technically in Cappadocia but sticking to the smaller villages, less visited by tourists, and this is proving to be a good formula.
Tomorrow, I head to the big city of Konya, the origin of the whirling dervishes and the home of Rumi. I am heading there precisely because after the concert I saw in Istanbul of the whirling dervishes, I am hooked. I am going to the source to seek more.
I have just about a week left and I will be ready to head home. Although I am still experiencing wonderful things, I have really had it up to my eyeballs with all the staring and comments. It will feel like such a relief to just have a cup of tea without being stared at. The problem is that women just do not go to cafes here so when I need to eat or want a cup of tea, I am literally the only woman in the joint. And this means that the crowds of men all turn to look and watch me drink my tea, not at all bashful about gawking. It is absolutely a man`s world here and therefore, not at all easy for me.
I think I have caught up on sleep, though and am drinking a lot more water so I am feeling a little bit more chipper than I did a couple days ago.
I am still fantasizing about various coffee drinks but honestly, I wonder what it is going to be like to suddenly NOT be traveling after a year of it. I wonder how weird it is going to feel to be in one place and with so much that is familiar and understandable to me.... I have kind of enjoyed the cluelessness of being in places where I understand little to nothing.
Ah but that is a week away....