Friday, July 9, 2010

CD man vs. Tamara

The CD store man continues to test my sanity with playing the same Rokia Traore songs on repeat for hours at a time. I begged Hassan to have a word with him and this afternoon he finally did. I stood there trying to smile a little but also reflect the real amount of internal angst that is going on. As I told Hassan, I will do just about anything if he will stop playing Rokia Traore. I used to really like her, but not after listening to the same two songs for several hours a day for the past week. I asked Hassan for the translation later and it went something like this:

“My friend lives here and she's going to flip out over Rokia Traore.”
“Because she likes it so much?”
“No, the contrary! Brother, you only play two songs for an entire day!”
“But that is the single CD that brings in the tourists. That's why I play it so much.”

In the end, Hassan said the guy would try and ease up on the Rokia Traore. However, as I'm writing this, he has just begun playing the same damn song again (I have intermittent internet connection in my apartment from an unknown nearby source).

I paid for 2 more weeks for the apartment today and I hope I can last that long...