It has taken me awhile to take this thought seriously because for me, this trip wasn't something I was doing for myself out of luxury or fun or glory or adventure or for the purpose of writing a book: it was simply a necessity. I was feeling suffocated in my previous life and something in my gut kept shouting, "Morocco!" I felt that if I'd stayed home, continuing to do what I was doing, I'd go mad.
While this blog began last summer, the whole story began for me in April 2007 with a climbing accident where I found myself at one of the lowest places of my life, hitting rock bottom. I struggled for a year to "get myself back," emotionally, spiritually and mentally-speaking, into some recognizable form. Once I started to feel closer to normal, all I could think about was the pull I had to Morocco and remaking myself in some vague way that I couldn't explain except for it felt like survival instinct.
Exactly one year from the date of my accident, I bought my one-way ticket to Morocco.
In any case, those of you who have been reading the blog, if you have favorite entries or found particular posts to speak louder than others, I'd love to know. I'm slowly going to compile the highlights and biggest lessons of this journey. Maybe someday it will offer encouragement or inspiration or hope to someone who needs it.
And, if anyone out there has ever published a book before and has any thoughts/connections with publishers, I'm all ears. I know these things usually take years before they're finished so I better start brainstorming now. :)
And for any who are interested in the "back story," I captured much of my rock climbing accident journey and the struggle to recover in a different blog HERE