A quick hello from the Sahara desert, near the Algerian border. It's my birthday!
I'm in the little village of Merzouga and last night, I did a camel trek into the desert to see the sunset and sunrise over the dunes as well as some amazing stars. What a place to wake up today, saying hello to 34 years of life. I joined a French family on the trek and of course, they had champagne and wine so I even got to toast to myself! However, my butt is going to take some time to recover from the camel- that was the most uncomfortable ride I've ever had, but I suppose you gotta do it once. I think it rules out my desire to do any camel races once I get to Mali.
The last couple times I've tried to post something, the only two times I was near access in the Altas mountains, the connection was down; so, I'll have to do some serious catching up when I get back to a city with fast connection. Boy did I freeze my butt off in the Atlas. More to come about that- it was worth it, though. I got to attend some traditional Berber marriage celebrations in some tiny little villages and boy, did I hear some incredible music. As the only Western guest there, I was of course, required to dance with the bride in front of everyone. OH MY GOD. That's a blog post in and of itself.
So yes, much much more to tell... stay tuned... I must get back outside to enjoy the sun of the Sahara!
Love,
Tamara